Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Overtime...


So it's been a pretty rough morning... How is that possible when it's only 9am and I have no kids and I don't start work until noon? I promise this is not just me feeling sorry for myself either. Yesterday Spencer left for work around 7:30am... actually 7:22am, but you know rounding up may make it seem better. He did not come home until after 9pm. I work a lot of hours between coaching and the new job that I started at the bank, but I always know when I am going to be home. Sitting at home alone at night was not what I had in mind when I got married. I appreciate his willingness to work hard and to do what he needs to do in order to make sure everything is taken care of, but how much is too much? He will be into overtime by Thursday morning... again... and then they will still make him work late, he won't be able to show up until after halftime to the last home football game on Friday night and it really makes me sad and upset. Seriously there has to be some kind of law about how much overtime a person can have. Yes, the paycheck will be good, but the strain on our relationship almost makes it not worth it I think. I understand that maybe this is normal for people to never see each other, but how are you suppose to strengthen a relationship and grow closer to each other if by the time one gets home the other is too exhausted to do anything? I don't have children to distract me and ever since I can remember I am easily depressed... I just don't know how to balance this effectively. I feel a little overwhelmed right now in my life because I just started a new job, which is going to be amazing, but there is so much to learn and to train on. I have multiple cheer parents who are very upset about things that are out of my control, but is somehow still my responsibility to fix and take care of. I have important decisions to make which could jeopardize things that are most important to me, and our internet is super crappy. That last one is just super annoying. Anyway, I know that there are people out there who have things much worse then I do... I guess I just need to learn how to manage my emotions better. I just miss my husband....

3 comments:

  1. Amen! I never could understand why we have to work and be apart so much, especially when we're young...rusty tells me every day that as soon as he can figure out a way to make a living just by spending time with his family he'll jump on board. Most days I have a minute by minute countdown to 6. At least I know when he'll be home. Hang in there. It will get better...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry you're struggling with this Jen, but I know you'll get through it. Find things to keep you busy and just cherish those few moments you get with him. Like you said, just think of the nice check, and how much money can save stress in a marriage. It's not everything, but it sure helps later down the road if you can have money to save and put away. Just always try to find the positive things and maybe that will help you not be so bummed about it. I basically live my summers without Shane and I know what you mean about it being hard and them being so tired when they get home. I just always tried to cherish the time we got and knew he was just doing his best to support us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking back I wish I had married for money and kept a really hot red-headed lover on the side.
    That way I could spend all day with the man I love and still have a paycheck at the end of the month. Of course the paycheck earner might get suspicious when all my babies came out with red hair, but hey, its a good plan right?
    I enjoy reading your posts. So honest, I appreciate honesty.
    My hubby has 12 hour days, and there is no promise that he will get off on time. He has had a few days when its 18-20 hours. Just make sure to enjoy the time you have together and not spend any of it cranky that he is gone so much!

    ReplyDelete