Thursday, January 12, 2012

Darn Veins...

Today was my monthly baby doctor's appointment... Can I tell you how much anxiety I get going to those? I am terrified that he won't find a heart beat, that I have been doing everything wrong, that there's something wrong with the baby, etc. I worry a lot.... always have. Anyway I was looking forward to stepping on the scale because I figured being in bed for a month I would have had to gain weight, plus isn't it good to gain weight with a baby? I know The Situation isn't big yet, and doesn't weight more than a few ounces, but we (meaning my cheerleaders and I) think it's going to be a fatty. Anyway, so the morning was already off to a nasty start... Couldn't keep anything down and didn't sleep well. Possibly the worst part about throwing up when you're pregnant is that you don't feel better once you actually throw up... you still feel yucky. I
remember plenty of times where I would throw up just to feel better... not so much anymore. Just have to remind myself that it's temporary... still hoping that since I'm in the second trimester now that things will start to lighten up a little. So I go the the doctor and step on the scale expecting to see a 2 or 3 or 7 pound gain... totally bracing myself and telling myself that it's okay cause I'm pregnant. Well I had lost 10 pounds in 4 weeks. As the nurse was taking us back to the room I told Spencer and he was super surprised... obviously I don't look it... dang. And the first thing the doctor said to me when he walked in was "Did you really lose 10 pounds?" No bueno. So they decided that it would be best if they put a couple of bags of fluids in me. Lucky for me they offered to do it right there in the office. So the nurse came in and tried to find a vein... remember how last time it took 5 pokes and 1 blown vein to get all the blood samples they needed from me? Well of course I'm dehydrated so she chose her favorite and went for it. 15
minutes later I was barely getting any fluid because of a curved vein. So she pulled it out (those needles are HUGE and so painful!) and tried another spot where she blew the vein. The exact same one that had blown the appointment before... my poor right hand. Her next step was finding another nurse to try because you can only try twice on one patient. I feel so bad for the nurses because they always come in so confidant and then leave so disappointed in themselves that they couldn't get a vein... I love that I'm a challenge for them! The next nurse tried twice also, with a ton of poking and prodding (the worst part) and then it was decided that home health care would need to come to my house and take care of it instead. So after an hour of attempting to get my hydrated and getting in less then half a bag of fluid, they sent me home.

I get worried, not because of me or how I feel. I know this is normal (well kind of - the doctor said he hadn't seen anyone this sick in a really long time) but I worry about The Situation. I feel guilty for losing weight and not being able to eat, and I worry that the baby isn't getting what it needs from me in order to grow properly. This is so new and weird to me to realize and understand that it's not all about me when it comes to my body. There is another human inside of me who I must take care of a grow. While I was thinking of all of this I was reminded of something Dwight Schrute once said,

"Pam is constantly throwing up because of the pregnancy. If she eats something the fetus doesn't like, she is screwed. It's amazing: a three ounce fetus, is calling the shots! It's so bad a."

It's so true! HUGE Office fan! Anyway I thankful for a husband who was able to be there for me and hold my hand during the entire time and remind me that everything is going to be okay, and for an AWESOME family who is constantly asking me what they can do and showing their support to me. Honestly I think they think this is the greatest thing... pay back for my crazy childhood ways, but nevertheless they are always there. My Mom even came over to finally help me take down the Christmas tree... I was pretty sure that thing would be up year round! This is a crazy adventure and I just thankful that I have such great people surrounding me to help me through it! Let's here it for little, wimpy, dehydrated veins!

1 comment:

  1. Awe honey! I'm so sorry! I hope you start feeling better and gaining weight!

    ReplyDelete