Thursday, December 29, 2011

Things I learned from Boy Meets World





Santa came and completed my Boy Meets World series for Christmas and since I have been in bed the past two weeks I was able to finish watching every glorious episode. I started my Boy Meets World collection 6 years ago, and became devastated when they decided to not release seasons 4-7... 5 years later they decided to release them all and it was a great day. Definitely called every member of my family to tell them. And finally 6 years later my collection is complete! I remember the night that the final episode aired. My parents were in Portland and we had a babysitter who became very concerned when I came out of the family room gasping for
air and crying insanely. I learned that being pregnant magnified that by 10. That episode is amazing... and don't worry I am tearing up just thinking about it. I was able to revisit all my emotions from searching for my Cory
Matthews (who I found), wanting hair like Topanga (never happened) and the wisdom that is Mr. Feeny. Being able to watch all of these episodes again made me realize that I have learned so much from that show. I remember sitting around the dinner table in Oregon and my Dad getting extremely annoyed because Kim and I would continually quote from Boy Meets World. Every sentence would either end or start with a quote from the show.... Obsessed. Anyway, even though those quotes have now shifted to The Office or Arrested Development, every now and then we throw in a Boy Meets World.... Here are some things that I learned from Boy Meets World.

He who hesitates is lost. – Eric


A date is not a date until you kiss. – Shawn

Money doesn’t make you rich. Life does. – Jack

Lose one friend, lose all friends, lose yourself. – Eric

I believe that when you find love you hold onto it and cherish it because there is nothing finer and it may never come again. – Mr. Feeny


Love doesn’t require you to be perfect but it does require you to forgive. – Shawn

Friendship is a real gift. It’s given with no expectations and no gratitude is necessary. – Eric

I believe in love like I believe in God: you can't touch it, you can't see it, but you can feel its wrath. - Shawn

We're all a little weird & when we find those people whose weirdness is
compatible we join up with them & fall into a mutually satisfying weirdness &
call them our best friends. - Cory

Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good - Mr. Feeny

Ever since I was young I never understood anything about the world. and anything that happened in my life, the only thing that ever made sense to me was you, and how i felt about you, thats all I've ever known, and thats enough.. thats enough for me for the rest of my life - Cory

And when you're not a little boy anymore, when the world has taught you how to be a man... Then you'll still make mistakes. But your family, and all those good friends you've made along the way, will help you. And even though you'll think
the world has gone out of it's way to teach you all the tough lessons, you'll realize that it's the same world that's given you your family and those friends, you you'll come to believe that no matter what happens, somehow the world will protect you, too. - Cory

This show is amazing! Of course are a thousand more quotes I could use, and Eric is pretty darn funny. But my absolute favorite part is in the very last episode when they go and ask Mr. Feeny if he has anything left to teach them and he says no, and that his work is done. They ask him to tell them that he loves them (bawling now) and he refuses to tell them. As soon as they leave the room he says, "I love you all. Class dismissed." Geez, am I really crying this hard right now???? Anyway, I never understood why he wouldn't tell them. But I think it's
because he didn't want them to leave, and by succumbing to their wishes, it would have made their leaving final. In that last episode I think we really get to see the most human side of Mr. Feeny ever. We get to see how much he really did care. I think we all have people like that in our life. People who we love so much and would never want to go without, but we can't always tell them how we feel when they want to hear it. I think that alone shows an insane amount of love. Boy Meets World was a huge part of my childhood and it has followed me into adulthood. I picked up on a lot of things that I never would have even though about when I was younger from this show... so glad that I have had the chance to watch them all again. Thank you Santa! And family be prepared, because I am restocked with Boy Meets World quotes for Sunday dinners.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I LOVE Boy Meets World. I miss that show so bad. Seriously, loved this post and all the quotes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, love your post and love Boy meets world. I was only recently introduced to it and I watched all 7 seasons. I cried, as usual, along the way and when it ended, but I noticed something special in the final episode.

    I don't know if you realized or if this is general knowledge, but notice that Mr. Feeny's advice at the end "Believe in yourselves. Dream. Try. Do good" was not only in general for all of them and everyone in the audience, but it was also given specifically in order to how the characters sat in his class at the end. "Believe in yourselves" was specifically for Topenga because she has a hard time believing in herself and that she will thrive and be successful no matter where she goes or which situation she's thrown into. "Dream" was for Cory because he always dreams big no matter the situation. Throughout the series he is the only one with crazy big plans and dreams, and his dreams are sometimes the only glue for the relationships in this group. If Cory stops dreaming, his essence is lost. "Try" was for Shawn because he has a hard time trying. He gives up too easy, but he has so much potential. All he needs to do is try and the world will be at his footsteps. And last but not the least, "Do good" is for Eric because he has a a pure heart and he knows nothing else but to do good. He can help so many people, touch so many hearts, and change so many lives because of this gift. All of these four advices was for everyone but was also personalized specifically for the four best students he has ever had.

    Maybe you all knew this piece of information and it wasn't news to you, but since you shared such beautiful quotes and memories from this show, I also wanted to share this because I think its beautiful.

    ReplyDelete