Thursday, December 23, 2010

Snowboarding...

Today I tried something new. I was one of the few people left in Utah who live here and had never been snowboarding... well my friend Aaron convinced me to go today cause he had a 2 for 1 pass and it was definitely an interesting experience. I am actually really struggling to type this because my wrists hurt so bad. Yes, I fell probably more than anyone you have ever seen! So the day began with not taking the right road to Snowbird (which is where we were going) and ended up at Brighton (which is on the opposite side of the mountain). The fog was incredible and it took us just a really long time to get there because people in Utah are scared to drive in the fog. And in the snow. And in the rain. My first observation... people who ski or snowboard think they are awesome! They are all so super cocky and walk around like they own the place, even the little kids! Maybe it's because of the boots, but still, very confident people hang out on the mountain. Aaron was super amazing all day and really helped me so much! He buckled me up to the board every time, pulled me up the hill when I didn't get enough speed, helped me stand up every time time... that's really really hard to do! And he even bought me dinner at Red Robin... Onion rings included! I had so many people ask me if this was a first date, and if it was to definitely ask for a second. Aaron really was amazing and so patient with me since he is super experienced. So my first ride on the lift (scary) we sat with these two guys who told me about how they each knew multiple girls who had to get airlifted out because of injuries on their first time to the mountain. So that was uplifting and a great thing to hear as I was clinging to the arm rest of the lift for dear life! The lift straight up scares me! It is very hard for me to get off and I didn't want to be the reason that they had to stop the entire lift. So first time down the mountain, not awesome. It took us FOREVER to get down! Sorry Aaron! It was not good. My poor ankles, wrists, butt, and neck. Snowboarders do not get enough credit! It is really really hard. Oh and did I mention how I got the wind knocked out of me 3 times. I don't think you're suppose to fall on your chest like I did. I'm sure it was entertaining for someone. So when we finally made it down I told Aaron to go by himself so he felt as though his time wasn't completely wasted. I got to people watch and that was pretty awesome! So we decided to go up again, and by this time I was pretty tired and really cold. Plus it was so stinking foggy you couldn't see like 20 feet in front of you half the time. It cleared up really nice... when we were leaving of course. I did a thousand times better on round two! I was really surprised! But the problem with going faster and harder, is that you fall faster and harder. My poor bruised tailbone, my left wrist, and the headache that not even 10 pain relievers can get rid of! I am going to need to be adjusted on Monday for sure. I learned that I would rather fall on powder than packed snow. Especially when I'm cruising and I land on the packed snow on my tailbone. So hard! So painful! Overall it was a good day and I'm really glad that I went. I think that back in the day there might have been a time when I would have said no because I was scared of looking stupid in front of other people, but I have totally changed the way I think when it comes to that and I'm so glad that I have! By the end of the day I had no problem wiping out and just laying on my back in the middle of the trial. People were probably pretty annoyed with me, but I really needed the rest. The last time I remember feel this physically exhausted and weak was rock climbing at City of Rocks back in like 2006. So it's about time right?Anyway I would highly recommend at least trying it out...I might not say that in the morning when I can't move, but it was a good day! Thanks Aaron! Oh and please notice the show off in one of the videos below who does a super cool roll right in front of me. Isn't he just awesome? Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment