Thursday, March 3, 2011

BYU Basketball

So last night I was invited to the BYU game against University New Mexico with Brad and his family. Of course I said yes, because I knew it would be a fun time, but little did I know the events that would unfold days before the game that would make it even more interesting. First, Brad and his family are huge BYU fans; I on the other hand had to go buy a BYU shirt to wear to the game because I didn’t have one. Now Copper Hills attire on the other hand, I have plenty of. So I knew that there would be a lot of emotion and craziness. Well on Monday, BYU fans received quite the blow. Turns out one of their most talented (and best looking) players couldn’t keep it in his pants and violated the Honor Code. It’s bad enough when you break it and have to confess to your Bishop (been there, done that) but pretty much Brandon Davies had to confess to the entire college basketball world. People are going nuts about this! Everywhere I go on the internet it’s a headline. http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705367882/National-pundits-weigh-in-on-BYUs-Honor-Code.html and http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2011-03-03/byus-title-dreams-shot-without-davies-but-season-isnt-over?icid=maing%7Cmain5%7Cdl5%7Csec1_lnk3%7C47961 Now still being bound by the Honor Code (is that suppose to be capitalized?) I understand why we have it and its restrictions. But throughout my 7 years of dealing with it, I have come to understand the importance of it. Really it’s kind of refreshing to have a school where sports aren’t the most important thing. I love sports and love going to games, but that’s not all there is to life. I feel like the Honor Code, which every single student signs and is aware of athlete or not, is there to help us become honorable, smart, better and more effective adults with morals. We don’t go to a church school not knowing this is part of the deal. Oh, we are so aware, and we all face the same consequences. I think it says a lot about BYU as a school to pull one of their best players in possibly one of their best seasons ever at such a crucial time because of this violation. It’s true though that a lot of people break the Honor Code and get away with it and graduate and never face these consequences. But I think it takes a pretty big person to admit to their mistakes, especially in a situation where it’s so high profile. Rumor has it, there’s a baby on the way so he couldn’t hide it much longer, but still I feel bad for the guy. But then again another rumor is that he was ratted out, so who knows what's even going on. It’s a little embarrassing and I feel bad for the guy. But still... stupid move buddy. Brad’s sister Ame and I decided that we would make shirts that say “I’M HAVING DAVIES BABY!” We think they would be pretty big sellers. Maybe not totally appropriate, but since when am I totally appropriate? I think it’s a stellar idea! Anyway please ignore the obesity and whiteness of the whale which is me in these pictures. Pictures with a flash are always awful! And please notice the big guy sitting behind us... he wanted every New Mexico player to break a bone and told us which bone for which player... he was not a happy camper. And how cute is Porter?He is the cutest little boy ever! He even slept through the entire second half of the game! Crazy kid! I got to see the Jimmer play… not his best game (yes he did score 33 points), but at least I can say I’ve witnessed it. In case you didn’t already hear BYU, who was ranked #3 in the nation, got slaughtered! The signs that the fans had were pretty entertaining and the half time show of old ladies… seriously old ladies like 60 and up dancing to “dynamite” was super entertaining. I think this could be a great way for my Mom to use her engery in the future. She would be amazing at this! Any 94 year old who can do the splits is a winner in my book! After the game we sat and chilled (and when I say chilled I mean sprawled) on the sidewalk and ate pizza and drank soda. It was such a gorgeous night in Utah! This is Brad and I toasting to the Honor Code. Haha. Good times. Pretty sure if we had stayed there any longer the cops would’ve been called. I had the worst migraine and still am struggling with it, so that sucks! But it’s all good. I also got to see my high school friend Darcee at the game… no pictures there because she’s too gorgeous for me to stand next to her. Anyway, I’m lucky to have such awesome friends who give me fantastic opportunities to play with them! Oh and let’s not forget how I totally drove the wrong way down a one way street… Eagle Mountain is a confusing place!

No comments:

Post a Comment