Wednesday, July 20, 2011

ASIAN INVASION

If you read often you have heard me mention Asian Jason several times. He's a great guy who happens to be Spencer's best friend. When I say best friend, I mean boyfriend. Haha... they are great together and so much fun! Anyway, I love to read Jason's Blog (check it out here) and so I asked if he would write a little something for me. And because he's such a nice, caring, awesome guy he did it within a few hours. Thanks Jason! Enjoy!


Their Story Through My Eyes

I have been asked and given the honor and privilege of writing about 2 of my friends. First for those readers who don't know me, I am Vietnamese, and known as the Asian amongst my friends, cause the majority of them are white. I have lived in Utah all of my life and have created some of the best friendships ever. Here is the story of how two of those friends have come together to create an amazing relationship, now engagement, and soon to be marriage. Spencer Ahlstrom and Jennifer Kinville. I met Spencer Ahlstrom through my singles' ward nearly 3 and a half years ago. My first impression of him was not a great one, it was a testimony meeting and we had already gone 15 minutes after the hour, and him and another guy walked up to bear their testimonies. I was upset because it was my first Sunday and they were taking time out of Sunday School! We knew of each other, but rarely hung out in the same crowds. About a year and a half later, he invited me over to watch a movie with some friends at his place, and we started to hang out. Then we went on a road trip back to his mission in Alabama and Mississippi, this is the time we became brothers. We rarely party without each other, play pranks, stay up and watch movies, go out at 1 in the morning to eat 50 pieces of chicken nuggets, we did everything together, and then he moved into my home, it has been a great blessing to have him there, to be able to stay up super late and talk about life and dating and so forth. We would go to parties and try to meet girls, he would go hang out with some other friends and meet girls as well, we were always trying to meet girls. Before I go on, for those of you who don't know him reading this, I want to tell you that he is more than just some good looking guy, he is a very kind, genuine, loving, hard working, individual that if you become friends with, he will do everything in his power to help you be happy, and will speak his mind of the truth of things. If you give him all of your trust, he will gladly return it. Alright continuing... So he met some girls, and I would meet them and they would seem fun, but Spencer was always searching for something more. So in May this year our ward gets split up and we are reassigned to another ward. There was this activity called the Summit, where Jenn was in charge of and she came into our Priesthood class. I was at the piano, and she was talking, and came very close to saying out loud, (for those of you who know me, I am pretty loud) "the question is, are you (Jenn) going to be there?" But since it was a new ward and I was still new I didn't say anything. Well later that day Spencer and I were talking about our ward and we talked about how cute Jenn was. The next day was FHE, it was cold outside so we decided to go to a counselor's home to have ice cream, Spencer worked his magic and sat at the table were Jenn was looking like a damsel in distress. I came by a little later and sat next to Spencer and met Jenn and her roomie. I was introduced as the Asian, but Jenn was supposed to call me sexy Asian, I also remember making fun of everything she was saying and Spencer just trying to hold in his laughter. Driving off Jenn stopped me in my car and she said we're good right? And I said of course. I find Jenn's roomie on facebook and chat about getting together the 4 of us to hang out, and she was down for it. Jenn's roomie also got Spencer's number from me, asking to help move stuff. Then Spencer and I blog stalked Jenn, because I remembered her talking about her blog and that because we were over 25 we were menaces to society so her blog was easy to remember. Also that same night at FHE Spencer received a number from one of Jenn's guy friends to take out his sister and Spencer was a little excited, but secretly, he had a thing for Jenn. The following weekend we all hung out for my birthday going to the golf course to the driving range, then had some Leatherbys and hung out at our place. At this time Spencer was like "Jason, Jenn is sooo cool and pretty and has amazing hair!" The following weekend I went out of town to San Jose to visit my sister. This is where the magic really happened.. while I was gone. Jenn was having a super difficult time this week a lot of family drama that most of you readers know about. This is when Spencer worked his touch, he brought her flowers, and got her the Pie's cheese pull a parts, they also went out on their first date and kissed, all in that one weekend while I was gone. The day I come back, Spencer picks me up from the airport and gives me a huge hug and says that he has a girlfriend! Now Spencer hadn't had a girlfriend for a while, and even when he was with the last one she was a little wishy washy in the relationship. Spencer was beaming, because he finally found someone that was as crazy about him as he was her. The most wonderful thing about Jenn, is that she really cares about Spencer's wants and desires. She recognizes us as brothers and encourages us to spend time together. She loves seeing him happy, and she also makes him happy. Spencer in return gives all of his love. I want to go back to the week before I left for my trip to San Jose. Now Spencer tells me about all of his dates, and relationships. But for some reason before his date with Jenn that week, he called me up and asked me something he never asked before. He asked what I thought he was doing wrong in dating. Now I mentioned that me and Spencer are brothers, we think so much a like that it scares us sometimes. I told him that in dating that we seem to only try harder at the simple and small things that the Lord expects us to do when dating is going well, when it isn't going well, we slow down and forget the small and simple things. Lets do the things even if dating is going well or not, and he agreed. Now I am not saying that I am the one that caused him to change, but that it was an awesome coincidence. Spencer is truly an amazing man. In his relationship with Jenn, they began to read and pray with each other, this was really key in his decision making. I really saw an amazing change in him, a wanting to be better, because of Jenn. I love how he comes to me for advice and I go to him for advice as well, he has been my greatest confidant. In Spencer and Jenn's courtship, I honestly had not seen a happier couple. It is because the spirit and their minds and hearts lead them to each other, I know it! Now for my angle of the proposal!!! So Spencer and I were talking one night, and he said that Jenn mentioned that if he was smart, he would propose on the 4th of July. Now kissing under the fireworks has always been on Spencer's bucket list, and that was crossed off the week before July 4th at Taylorsville Dayzz!!! Anywho, the did go ring shopping and Jenn picked one out, but Spencer was all like, "I am not going to propose to you for a while." She had no idea that he went back and got the ring. He asked for permission on July 1st in the morning, he woke me up and asked me for permission.... jk he woke me up and said I am going to meet Jenn's dad right now!!! July 4th morning, Spencer puts on his shorts and puts the box with the ring in his shorts and asks if I could notice the box, and then I said let me give you a hug, and I said I could feel "it" (the box, you pervs) :) so he made me the bearer of the ring! So Jenn is a cheerleader coach and her team and school were in the West Jordan parade, Spencer's elaborate plan was to propose to her in the middle of the parade to the cheerleaders cheering to the song Hey baby! But to change the words to hey Jenn, he wants to know if you'll be his girl. We brought Jenn's camera along, I was also to be the camera man for this, she thought her camera was just to take pictures of the parade. Spencer organized the girls to stop almost in front of where we and Jenn's family was. And it went down perfectly and I was all up in their grill with the video camera, but it was amazing. By the way, the video is on youtube. Type in the search box, parade proposal.mov. She was genuinely surprised! I was so glad I got to be a part of that memorable moment.Now to see them getting their wedding ready is tiring, but at the same time super exciting. I have loved being able to witness these two fall in love, and now I get to witness them nurture it. I am very grateful to be called their friend. Jenn, Spencer found not just a gorgeous girl on the outside, but an even more amazing woman on the inside. Spencer, what can I say? Jenn's a sucker. JK! You are the most deserving ginger in the whole world, you are my brother forever. You both are marrying up, and more importantly in the temple. I am so excited for the both of you. I love you both so much. Thank you for always caring about me, and thank you for allowing me to write this for you.


1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! I have only met Spencer for a very short period, but after reading this, I know he is as wonderful as Jenn says he is. Jenn is a great friend to me. We went through a lot of boy drama together which brought us very close to each other. I am so excited that she finally found her true prince and that she is going to get her fairy tale ending like she deserves. Jason, I am glad that you "encouraged" change which lead to this relationship working. Jenn is so happy. Thanks for writing such a great post!

    ReplyDelete